Title: Body and house: towards the contemporary domestic space since the transformations of the kitchen and the bathroom.
- Author(s): Gonzalo Pardo Diaz.
- Director:Thesis Director:Atxu Amann Alcocer and Jacobo García-German Vazquez.
- Summary: The areas linked to both food preparation and body care reveal the transformations of domesticity throughout history and allow to analyze the most radical changes of the house and its inhabitants. Since the first bonfires, cooking has involved a place, which once linked to the built habitat has been moving through the domestic space, expanding and reducing, moving away or approaching the rest of the spaces of the house depending on different technological, social and ideological variables and always in relation to processes of segregation of the inhabitants, in which women have played a leading role. On the other hand, the two main functions of bathing, cleaning and exoneration, at their origin coincident in the rivers, traveled apart a complex trajectory that implies the transit from the public to the private, from the dirty to the clean and from the symbolic to the functional until the mid-19th century they were permanently installed in the domestic space as a result of social and technological variables. During the twentieth century, the transformations of the kitchen and the bathroom can be analyzed together within the space of the house, revealing very significant changes, especially in its second half, as a result of new consumption practices, the gender revolutions, the globalization of the information society and other factors that will cause these two pieces to become the showcase of new ways of living at home. The kitchen and bathroom are, at the beginning of the 21st century, terms that allude to the domestic espacio_tiempo of a diverse, expanded housing in the city and augmented in the virtual world. On the one hand, the bathroom, as a unit or atomized, functions as the maintenance workshop of the body without gender, in which basic hygienic activities dialogue with the playful and provide a healthy, sustainable and responsible pleasure, which coexists with the psychic imbalance of a perfect body, eternally young, prosthetic and anabolized Consequently the kitchen is a term in continuous review, without more physical definition than those of expired regulations outside of information society; an area in which accelerated daily life is developed linked to tenants as diverse as they are unknown. Its segment ranges from consumption habits of a global world traversed by ecological awareness and sustainability, crisis and concern for a healthy body supported by responsible nutrition, to bodies obsessed with the aesthetics of image that hardly require cooked food and that match esthates that can’t either because they lack means. This thesis studies and relates the evolution of these two domestic areas, kitchen and bathroom, in a time and in an expanded and increased space, through different signs of transformation in order to establish a diagnosis of the future in an era of domesticity mutant like ours.
- Abstract: The areas related to both food preparation and body care, reveal the transformations of domesticity throughout history and allow for the analysis of the most radical changes experienced in/inside/within the houses and its inhabitants. Since the first bonfires, cooking implied has a place, which eleven linked to the living that evolved, has been constantly displaced within the domestic space. It has been experiencing expansions and reductions, and it has distanced or approached/approximated itself to the rest of the spaces of the house depending on different technological social and ideological variables, and always relating to processes of segregation of the population, in which women have played a leading role. Furthermore, the two main functions of the bath, cleaning and exoneration, in its origin coinciding in rivers, separately going through a complex trajectory which represents the transition from the public to private, from the dirty to the clean and from the symbolic to the functional until the mid-nineteenth century, when they both was finally get installed in the domestic space as a result of social and technological variables. Throughout or during the twentieth century, both kitchen and bathroom transformations can be analyzed in conjunction or together the space of the house, revealing very significant changes, especially during the second half of the century, as a consequence of the new consumption patterns or practices, the gender revolutions, the globalization of the information society and other factors that will cause that these two parts become or turn into the showcase of new ways to inhabit the house or of living at home. At the beginning of the 21st century, the kitchen and the bathroom are terms that refer to the domestic space-time of a diverse housing, expanded in the city and augmented/enhanced in the virtual world. On the one hand, the bathroom, as a unity or atomized, works as the maintenance shop of the genderless body, where basic hygienic activities converse with the playfulness and provide a healthy sustainable sustainable and pleasure enjoyment//recreation, which coexists with the psychic imbalance of a perfect body, eternally young, prosthetic and anabolized. As a consequence or result, the kitchen is a term under constant revision or continuous review, without any other physical definition to that of some deciduous regulations far from the information society; an area where an accelerated ordinariness develops that is linked to some tenants as diverse as unknown. Its segment ranges from some global world consumption habits, going through or passing through the ecological and sustainability consciousness or awareness, the crisis and the concern about a healthy body based on a responsible nutrition, to the bodies the aesthetics of the image that barely require cooked food and that matches with the ones that cannot do it either because they lack the means. This thesis studies and relates the evolution of these two domestic aspects, the kitchen and the bathroom, in a time and an expanded and augmented/enhanced space, through different transformation with signs/objective/object of establishing a future diagnosis in an era of mutant/changing/shifting domesticity like ours.
- Link: http://oa.upm.es/42930/