Title: The domes of Felix Candela. Analysis and reconstitution of the sports facilities of Brown University, 1965-1972. (2017)
- Author(s): Federico Luis del Blanco García and Ismael García Rios.
- Magazine (magazine): Eda. Journal of Architectural Graphic Expression. Volume 22.
- Pages: 228-239.
- ISSN: 1133-6137.
- Summary: The work set out below is part of the result of a research work carried out at the Polytechnic University of Madrid. Throughout this article we analyze the project for brown University sports facilities, carried out by Félix Candela in association with Cutting-Praeger during the years 1965-1972.The article includes the original documentation preserved in the adeposit of the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, as well as some of the plans and infographics made for the graphic reconstitution of the project. From these we have been able to analyze the complex geometric plot of the dome generated from a subdivision of the sphere that determines the arrangement of the parabolic-hyperbolic vaults that make up the enclosure.The work done allows us to visualize a project that by various circumstances was never built.
- Keywords: Felix Candela, domes, geometry, 3D reconstruction.
- Abstract: The work presented below is part of the results of a research project at «Universidad Politécnica de Madrid». In this paper we analyzed the project of the sport facilities at Brown University, which was done by Felix Candela after a forming a partnership with CuttingPraeger, during the years 1965-1972.The original plans made by Félix Candela are included in the research paper.
They are stored at Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library. We have also added computer generated images and drawings, which allowed us to analyze the geometry of the spherical dome. It is subdivided into hyperbolic paraboloid vaults in order to generate the enclosure. The reconstruction of the project allow us to visualize a project which was never built.
- Key words: Felix Candela, domes, geometry, 3D reconstruction.
- Link: http://oa.upm.es/46286/