Title: Place / No-Place / Place in Contemporary Architecture. (2012)
- Author(s): Laura Gallardo Frias.
- Director(s): Francisco Javier Segui de la Riva.
- Summary: This thesis is proposed as an openness, an invitation to reflect on the concepts: place, non-place and architecture. Relevant theories of different authors belonging to different disciplines such as philosophy, anthropology, sociology and of course architecture are intertwined by embracing themselves despite time and space, and continue to shout with force, with-moving always open to new interpretations, new times, but always open to dialogue. Thus, and through the different thoughts that converge by synthesizing emerging characteristics about the place and the non-place in their relations with architecture this research is configured, at the meeting point where these ideas resonate making us vibrate with them and being able from there, to delve into the meaning of architecture.It is based on the basis that non-places have always existed, and just as rationality serves as irrationality to constitute as such, places use non-places to constitute as such.
With what is proposed a cycle where place / no-place / place is continued, as the title indicates, producing a kind of fold in the passage from one to another. And it is on this main reflection, from which the thesis is structured resembling a tape of M’bius, because like this, it is suggested that place and non-place are not two sides of the same coin, but happen on the same face , the same band that zooms in and out of these concepts.
Place / Non-place / Place in Contemporary Architecture 1
Cycle that transcends its meaning, for although it has a defined exterior and interior, both coexist as do places and non-places.
With this writing you invite a trip that immerses the reader in interiors, who escape and dream of outdoors, in that swing where the possibility from the inside is of going outwards…. how a non-place can become a place and the other way around.
Three cycles or chapters are proposed, through the band of M.bius. The first presents the theoretical framework, comprising four items: place and architecture, fold of the place to the place, non-place and architecture and the last that would be another fold that leads to a new place?
In the second chapter, highlights, derived from the previous cycle, are drawn that have a direct impact on the place, the non-place and the architecture.
And the third chapter includes the synopsis, not conclusions, because a thesis is presented open to further reflection, where proposals are distilled for definitions of place, non-place and architecture, future lines of research are presented, the methodology is shown , the bibliography used and the annexes in addition to the written statement.
- Abstract: This thesis is proposed as an opening, an invitation to reflect on the concepts: place, non-place and architecture. Relevant theories are presented by different authors to different disciplines such as as, philosophy anthropology, sociology and architecture courses, which are intertwined despite embracing time and space, and continue to scream loudly, shaking always open to new interpretations, new times, but always open to dialogue. Thus, and through the various thoughts that flow synthesizing emerging characteristics of the place and the non-place in their relations with the architecture of this research, it is set in the venue where these ideas resonate with them and make us vibrate. From there, it can deepen into the meaning of architecture.It assumes that non-places have been around forever, and like the rationality of irrationality serves to establish as such, places are served by non-places to be constituted as such.
So, a cycle where they continue place / non-place / place is proposed, as the title indicates, producing a kind of kink in the transition from one to another. And it is on this main consideration, from which the thesis structure resembling a M’bius strip, as well as this, there is non-place and place are not two sides of the same coin, but they happen onto one side, the same band that zooms these concepts.
Place / Non-place / Place in Contemporary Architecture 3
Cycle that transcends its meaning, because although it has an exterior and an interior defined, both coexist as well as places and non-places.
This text is an invitation to a trip to immerse the reader in interiors, that leak outside and dream, then where lies the possibility to swing from the inside out shifted to the outside …. like a non-place can be converted in one place and vice versa.
There are three cycles or chapters, throughout the M’bius strip. The first one presents the theoretical framework, comprised of four items: place and architecture, fold the non-place to place, non-place and architecture, and the last one would be another fold that leads to a: new place?
In the second chapter highlights are extracted, derived from the previous cycle, impacting directly on the place, the non-place and architecture.
The third chapter provides the overview, and not conclusions, because it poses a theory open to further reflection, which they distill proposals for definitions of place, non-place and architecture, future research is presented, the methodology, bibliography and annexes are shown to supplement the writing.
- Link: http://oa.upm.es/10903/