COMMUNICATION IN CONGRESS: (Communication in conference)
Title: Working with Your Hands. Surprised with the usual accustomed to the strange. (2012).
- Author/author:Dolores Victoria Martínez Ramírez, Atxu Amann Alcocer, Efpraxia Giannopoulou, Anthi Kosma, Katerina Psegiannaki and Tania Ugena.
- Conference’s title: II International Find on Art Education.
- Place: Porto, Portugal.
- ISBN: 978-989-97856-4-9.
- Summary: Last November, at the School of Architecture in Madrid, a heterogeneous group of twenty students and six professors from different academic backgrounds and nationalities shared an intensive workshop whose title «Working with hands» did not clarify their true intentions, which were to establish Hands at the center of human activity, from the daily to the artistic level of survival, considered as creators, models, media and instruments in art. Unawareness*: Could hands be understood away from the experience of our own bodies? A gradual process of disfamiliarization was launched to ensure the achievement of this difficult objective. The experience of estrangement, as a scientific approach to reality, is based on the consideration that any identity must be placed outside of us to be known critically and independentof our daily lives and beliefs. First action then reflection: we developed strategically diverse actions that gradually eliminated different levels of knowledge to avoid the global perceptions to which we are accustomed. First we work without vision, then without voice, then without listening, finally without prejudice and without restricted thoughts. Mapping: Once we were finally able to consider hands as images, we created a mapping by creating partial conceptual maps. The various layers of images organized into unexpected categories allowed us to discover new relationships between variables and unknown parameters on the hands, while the old categories were being destroyed. What is a hand?: With our endless but complete atlas, we try to set the limits and define our research object: a hand is something different from those things that are not hands. Conclusion: The world as atlases. «Working with hands» was an active metaphorical course in which we get closer to the world around us through actions of dephoning everyday life, to blur the boundaries by including variables that prevent our maps from leaving «the others.» * Defamiliarization – estrangement.
- Abstract: Last November, in the School of Architecture of Madrid, a heterogeneous group formed by students twenty and six teachers from different academic backgrounds and nationalities shared a required workshop whose title «Working With Hands» did not clear up its real intentions, which were to set hands in the center of human activity, from the daily survival level to the artistic one, considered as makers, models, mediums, and instruments in art. Defamiliarization-estrangement*: Could hands be understood far from our own body experience? A gradual defamiliarization process that ensured to achieve this difficult goal was set off. Estrangement experience like a scientific approach to reality is based on the consideration that any identity must be placed out of us in order to be known critically and independently from our daily lives and beliefs. First action; then reflection: We developed strategically diverse actions that gradually removed different knowledge levels in order to avoid global perceptions we are accustomed to. We worked first without sight, then without voice, later without hearing, finally without prejudices and restricting thoughts. Cartography: Once we had finally managed to consider hands as images, we made a cartography by creating partial conceptual maps. Diverse layers of images organized in unexpected categories allowed us to discover new relationships among unknown variables and parameters about hands, while old categories were getting destroyed. What a hand is?: With our endless but finished atlas, we tried to establish the limits and define our research object: a hand is anything different from those things that are not hands. Conclusion: World as an atlas. «Working with Hands» was an active metaphoric course where we came to approach the world around us through actions of defamilarization everyday life, in order to fuzzy the boundaries by including variables that prevent our maps from leaving out «the others». *Defamiliarization-Estrangement
- Link: http://oa.upm.es/46989/